In a normal person both eyes are straight and moving to various directions together in a pattern. But few people have some problem with this together eye movement in several directions and even when eyes are straight position. This kind of situation can be describes as squint or strabismus. (“Waparaya” in Sinhala )
This squint condition can lead to vision problem, 3D vision and cosmetic appearance. The best thing is to detect these clinical conditions early and get the best possible correction for them. Orthotic assessment is a collection of testing procedures to evaluate eyes with such kind of situation.
There are several test procedures include in the orthoptic assessment and few of them as below.
- It is the primary procedure for vision assessment and finds the spectacle lenses power on vision problem. It takes around 15 minutes and it is recommended to bring the present glass prescription and past medical records.
- Extra ocular muscle tes
- Sometime our eye muscles are not moving together and this procedure used to evaluate them.
- Cover test
- There are some eye deviations of eye movements which are visible to in open and closed condition. That will be finding with helping cover test.
- Convergence test
- There are few people with difficulty to see near thing for long time for some reasons. This is used to measure the amount of convergence of your eyes.
- Streoacuity test
- Some people have difficulty to climb stairs, walking on the road and missing catches while playing. That can be due to weaknesses of the 3D vision. This is to find the level of 3D vision which you have in your both eye.
- Prism cover test
- This test is used to find the required power for the correction of squint.